Author: Seth Godin
Poke the Box is a short motivational and inspiring book educating its readers about the need to break the status quo and be exceptional in whatever you want or wish to do. Here are a few take-homes from the book.
1. In a world where noone tells you that you have to be this or that, think of what you do best and then go do it.
2. Be a reader. Take initiatives and lead even if the world says you aren’t prepared to do so.
3. Don’t fit in; dare to stand out.
4. Fly high and reach for the skies even if the world says you will get burned by the sun if you fly too high.
5. Make your to-do list. If you don’t, you will realise you haven’t accomplished a single thing at the end of the day.
6. As an entrepreneur, you do not need a venture capitalist or an investor to validate your work and get started on building your business. Go ahead, do it and trust the process.
7. Excellence isn’t about working extra hard to do what you’re told. It’s about taking the initiative to do work you decide is worth doing.
8. Stop waiting for a map. Those who draw maps are the ones rewarded, not those who follow them.
9. Find the guts to risk success in order to achieve something great; this is the challenge that any successful organization face or will have to face.
10. Part of initiating is being willing to discover that what you end up with is different from what you set out to accomplish. If you’re not willing to discover that surprise, you will always be afraid to start.